Saturday, August 21, 2010

My "Jersey Boys" Excursion

OK, it's been brought to my attention that I never reported on my exciting trip to Toronto to see the Jersey Boys (other than a brief statement to the effect that it was oh sooooooo exciting -- but that wasn't enough for some readers).
So, please accept my apologies for the oversight but regular followers of this blog will recall that the day after the trip, I came home dog-tired (and did not post an entry) and that night I had my "drowning" episodes (about which I somehow felt a need to blog on Tuesday).
On Wednesday, I made a very brief post about our entrance having been re-tiled and I didn't post anything on Thursday.
The post I put up on Friday (about my earliest memory) had actually been written some time ago (I sometimes have entries in my library, waiting to be put up for days when I'm just not "up to" blogging).
It's been a rough week for me, in the energy department, so I've not been in much of a blogging mood.  My leg cramps have been particularly troublesome this week and there's been a lot going on around here (actually, a lot NOT going on around here) that's been frustrating me beyond measure (for one, roadblocks with respect to my "sanctuary" are getting me down).
I know that the construction issues will be worked out eventually and I will have my sanctuary, one day.  But having made the decision to go ahead with the project, I guess I thought that things would move a little more quickly than they are.  Wrong!
Anyway, all that's not to say that I didn't enjoy my trip to Toronto.
Life just got in the way of reporting about it.
So I will do that now.
We had had a terrific rainstorm on the Saturday night, a storm that knocked out our telephone lines and took our internet connection down.  That meant that I left home on Sunday morning, leaving John with his only connection to the outside world being his cell phone.  So he had to deal with Bell Telephone to get our phone lines back into working order (and he was heading out that day for a concert that he was quite looking forward to attending -- a concert that got cancelled).
The rain continued on Sunday morning, making for a harrowing drive into the big city, and leaving a question mark as to whether or not we would even be able to fly out (yikes, we can't NOT go to Toronto!).
But I arrived at my little chickadee's place right on schedule, not dressed in the outfit I had wanted to wear because the weather was so awful (I had planned to wear a nice dress and be outfitted properly for a day at the theatre -- last minute changes were made that morning when I woke to a thunderous rainstorm).
Marcus and Grandma - ready to go to Toronto
We headed off to the airport, not knowing if the flight would be able to leave but hoping that we would get out with time to still make our planned activities (the girls to the theatre; the boys to the museum to take in the Harry Potter exhibit).  The flight was delayed, but only briefly although it did make for a few anxious moments.
Now, this would be my beautiful boy's first time flying and he didn't know what to make of it.  His grandma doesn't like taking off or landing; his Mom hates everything about flying; and his Dad is nervous about the experience.  Great!  But he is such a little trooper (and he so wanted to see that Harry Potter exhibit!).
Marcus before take-off
I looked over as we were ascending, and the look on his face was just priceless!  A smile broke out as he realized the sensation of the take-off.  It was like he was experiencing the greatest exhibition ride ever!  He told me later that he really likes flying (he asked his Mom the next morning where they could go next).  What a hoot.
Once we landed in Toronto we had to take a ferry off the island, and from there we took the shuttle bus to get the subway to the theatre (the boys would have to take another bus to the museum).  We would meet up again at the subway station to make our way back to the airport later in the day.
A much more relaxed Marcus with his Grandma and Mom, on the subway
It was a lot more walking than my little chickadee had thought so I was quite tired by the time we got to the Theatre, but I made it.
And it was sooooooooooooo worth it.
The show was fabulous.  Even my little chickadee enjoyed it.  The performers were incredible and the story of Frankie Vallie and the 4 Seasons is really a very interesting one.  Did you know that Joe Pesci, the actor, was a close friend of theirs and played an integral role in their success?  Did you know that each of them was a New Jersey thug?  The story is told with wonderful humour and beautifully incorporates many of their hit songs.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The return trip to the subway didn't seem quite as onerous as the other way had been (now that we knew where we were going) and we hooked up with the boys with little difficulty.
And my beautiful boy had had a blast at the Harry Potter exhibit.  He was on a high like no other!  I guess that was quite the show for him (he has seen the movies, and has just started reading the book, so he's quite intrigued with the story).  His father had given in and allowed him to spend an obscene amount of money to buy a wand (he had to have it, you know) but never had a purchase made a little boy happier!
On the ferry returning to the airport
Our flight was marginally delayed again, but eventually we did leave Toronto and got back to Ottawa and finally, dinner.  It had been a very long day indeed and we were all quite tired, hungry and cranky.  But we made it and were still talking to each other at the end of the day.
The next morning, my little chickadee joined my beautiful boy and me for our ritual breakfast before he went to daycare and then she and I hung out until it was time for me to go for my physio appointment, after which I finally headed home.
Home, to where our telephone lines had been fried by the rainstorm (but were fixed, except for the second line which was still out of use due to the alarm system which hooks into it and no longer works -- still waiting for the techie for that repair).
Home, to where the internet connection had been restored following the rainstorm.
Home, to where the tile installation was supposed to have happened on Monday but didn't happen until Tuesday.
Home, to where the alarm techie was supposed to call back on Tuesday and as of Friday, I was still waiting (he will be here on Monday -- a full week after the system was reported down).
Home, to where the builder who was going to build my sanctuary called last night to say he doesn't want the job -- call someone else please.
Home, to where the guy who was going to do the landscaping out front didn't show up on Friday -- he'll come and do that work when the construction is being done for the new room!
Home, to where the techie who was due in on Friday to service our water softener called late Friday afternoon -- he can't make it, can he reschedule?  We only made the appointment three weeks ago.  So now he'll be here on Monday.
Oh what fun!
Frustrated?  Not me.
Just another week of fun in the Fowler household.
My legs hurt (perhaps my leg cramps are a replacement for the migraines I used to get!).

No comments: